Moonbox is thrilled to present the finalists of the first-ever Boston New Works Project. Over the course of the 2021-2022 season, these 11 original plays and musicals will be workshopped, polished, and set to debut at the Boston New Works Fringe Festival- a week-long celebration of Boston’s opportunity to #CreateCommunity, together.
Annoucing Our 2022-23 Season
Shadowbox Mentorship Program
Moonbox Productions produces exceptional theatrical experiences that enlighten, empower, and challenge Greater Boston audiences to re-imagine how art creates community. We create inclusive programming that makes all audiences, staff, and community partners feel welcome and celebrated. #CreateCommunity
We believe it is our shared responsibility to make positive change in all of the lives that we touch.
We believe in creating spaces that reflect the diversity of our shared community, both on and off the stage, where under-represented voices, including BIPOC, LGBTQIA2S+, and people living with disabilities feel valued and important.
We believe that accessibility is a human right. We are devoted to providing performances that can be experienced and enjoyed universally, and to incorporating accessibility planning into our production, design, staffing, and budgeting processes from day one.
Moonbox commits to
- Provide a safe, collaborative and respectful workplace
- Implement anti-racist theatre practices
- Promote individuals and organizations that work on behalf of our community through our Non-Profit Partnerships
- Support emerging artists and theatre professionals through our Mentorship Program
- Provide ASL interpretation and audio description for all productions, and regularly offer open and closed captioning.
- We are actively expanding our programming to include tactile integration tours and sensory-friendly performances
- Seek new and innovative ways to engage and give back to our community
- Engage with the broader community of people living with disabilities and other under-represented groups to enrich our networks and make our productions enjoyable for all. We recognize that guidance by and consultation from members and experts of these communities is invaluable in acquiescing knowledge.
When Cambridge resident Sharman Altshuler launched Moonbox Productions, she wasn’t motivated by market analysis. She was inspired by something much more joyous.
There are a number of Moonbox musicals that stand out in my memory, among them Floyd Collins and Cabaret.
Moonbox Productions continues its impressive run of presenting complicated, adult musicals with more polish, professionalism, and nuance than most other companies in the Boston area, even those with more cash and more clout.
Moonbox Productions — a small theater company that specializes in putting on, and pulling off, ambitious projects.
News and Updates
When news of the COVID pandemic began to break last spring, Moonbox, like so many in our industry, began to scramble our schedules and personnel in an effort to let the show go on. Hopes that we were looking at just a few months of disruption dissolved as the virus spread, and we entered this long haul of social distancing, shut-downs and unspeakable losses of life and livelihoods.
This winter Moonbox lost close friend and beloved collaborator, Marian Bertone. Marian designed costumes for several Moonbox shows, beginning in...
BOSTON, MA – Moonbox Productions is thrilled to announce that it has named Davron Monroe as Director of Equity, Diversity,...
The Boston New Works Project is no longer accepting submissions. Moonbox is now officially welcoming proposals from Massachusetts residents for...
Moonbox will host New Works Festival in the 2021-2022 Theater Season. BOSTON, MA – Moonbox Productions is thrilled to announce...
Supporting local artists during the COVID19 crisis. BOSTON, MA – While live performances are on hold, Moonbox Productions is thrilled...
Become a Moonbox Insider!
- Exclusive sneak-peeks
- Behind-the-scenes footage
- Early-bird ticketing discounts
- General Moonbox revelry
- And much more…!